Fluendo MP3 Decoder
Fluendo MP3 Decoder
Fluendo MP3 Decoder
The Fluendo MP3 decoder for GStreamer will add MP3 playback capability to all your GStreamer using applications.
The plugin is made to run on systems with GStreamer 0.10.3 or higher and glibc 2.4 or higher. We recommend all potential customers to get and try this plugin first as a test of whether our plugins will work on your system.
WARNING: Solaris users need to be aware that the only Solaris versions shipping GStreamer 0.10 at this point is Solaris Express. So make sure that either you are able to install GStreamer yourself or that you are running a suitable version of Solaris.
MP3 and patents
The MP3 audio format is hard to avoid as it is the format supported by most portable music players. In fact, many people have already converted their audio CD collections into MP3. Today, the Free Software community along with many others are trying to migrate the world over to using the open and royalty-free Ogg Vorbis codec. Yet a transition solution is needed and this is where the Fluendo GStreamer MP3 plug-in comes in.
The Fluendo MP3 plug-in project is a combination of multiple things.
- It is an MIT licensed source code package implementing the MP3 codec.
- It is a fully licensed binary GStreamer plug-in available for download.
- It is a redistribution contract allowing distributions to distribute the binary Fluendo GStreamer MP3 plug-in free of charge.
The MIT licensed source code
Fluendo has developed an MP3 decoder which is fully usable and works today. We hope that by licensing its source code under the very permissive MIT license we will get other people in the community to help out improving it, especially optimizing it for various platforms. The Fluendo MP3 plug-in's primary means of optimization will be using the liboil optimization library for optimizations, but others are and can be supported. There is support for Intel Programming Primitives optimization included.
The fully licensed binary GStreamer plug-in
Fluendo has paid the license of Fraunhofer and Thomson to be able to distribute a binary MP3 decoder. This means that people who want MP3 support for the desktop music players can get a fully licensed plug-in directly from this site.
Where do I get the source code?
You can get the source code of the plugin using
subversion and check out the
code from https://core.fluendo.com/gstreamer/svn/trunk/ using the command:
svn co https://core.fluendo.com/gstreamer/svn/trunk/
Issues to be aware of
If you are living in a country where the MP3 patents don't apply, you are entitled to use the source code provided by Fluendo (or anyone else) to get legal MP3 support onto your Unix/GNU/Linux desktop.
In contrast, if you live in a country where patents do apply, or if you are a distribution maker working in countries where the patents apply, you need the licensed binary from Fluendo. If this is the case, please be aware that, even if our binary is made from MIT licensed source code, the resulting binary, combined with our license, is not free software, at least not GPL-compatible. This means that if you ship GStreamer with our binary MP3 plug-in, you need to be sure that you don't ship any GPL-licensed plug-ins that could end up being used together with the MP3 plug-in, as this would be a violation of the GPL. You also need to make sure you don't ship any GPL-licensed players which would use this plug-in.
Fortunately, most GStreamer plug-ins are LGPL, and many of the playback applications come with licensing terms that allow them to be used with non-free plug-ins. The Totem media player and the Banshee music player are two examples.
Software support period
Fluendo MP3 Decoder comes with one year of support period included in the price.
What is a support period?
It's a period of time during which you have access to newer versions of the product, including all improvements and bugfixes. You will always be able to download the latest version of all the versions released before the end date of your support period.
Can I extend support period?
Yes. The cost of extension is much less than the cost of a new product.
What happens when my support period ends?
You still have access to the latest version which has been released during the support period. However, the versions released after the support had expired will be inaccessible for you.
How much time do I have to extend my support?
You have a grace period of 365 days after your support has expired. During that time it's possible to extend it with a special discount. If you don't do it before the end of grace period, the only way to gain access to newer versions is to buy the product again for a full price.
What are the discounts for support extension?
For Fluendo MP3 Decoder you have the following extensions available:
Is there a package for you?
We were unable to determine automatically which of our files is best for your system. Please check if your hardware architecture and operating system are present in the list below.
Linux RPM x86 64bit
Linux RPM i386
Linux generic x86 64bit
Linux generic Intel Atom
Linux generic i386
Linux Debian x86 64bit
Linux Debian i386
FLUENDO LICENSE AGREEMENT BY FLUENDO, S.A. (“FLUENDO”)
IMPORTANT – READ CAREFULLY
THE FOLLOWING LICENSE AGREEMENT IS AMENDED FROM TIME TO TIME AND AVAILABLE AT FLUENDO’S WEBSITE (THE “LICENSE AGREEMENT”), TOGETHER WITH FLUENDO’S SOFTWARE TERMS OF SERVICE, GOVERNS THE DOWNLOADING, INSTALLATION AND/OR USE OF ANY FLUENDO’S PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ANY COMPONENTS, COPIES, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, UPGRADES OR SUBSEQUENT VERSIONS THEREOF THAT MAY BE RELEASED BY FLUENDO (COLLECTIVELY, THE “SOFTWARE”) AND ANY ACCOMPANYING MANUALS, HELP FILES AND DOCUMENTATION (THE "DOCUMENTATION"), UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED LOCALLY. PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT AS BY DOWNLOADING, USING AND/OR INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE YOU (THE “LICENSEE”) CONSENT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT. YOU MAY DOWNLOAD, INSTALL AND/OR USE THE SOFTWARE SUBJECT TO THOSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND TO ANY APPLICABLE LAW, BEING SOLELY LIABLE FOR ANY BREACH THEREOF. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT, FLUENDO DOES NOT GRANT ANY LICENSE TO YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE AND YOU MAY NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
BY DOWNLOADING THIS SOFTWARE YOU ALSO CERTIFY UNDER YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY THAT YOU ARE OF LEGAL AGE TO ENTER INTO BINDING AGREEMENTS, IN MOST COUNTRIES THIS MEANS THAT YOU ARE AGED 18 OR ABOVE.
THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT SHALL BE APPLICABLE TO THE SOFTWARE FLUENDO DVD SOFTWARE CONSIDERED AS A WHOLE AND, IN PARTICULAR BUT WITHOUT LIMITATION, TO ANY FILE INCLUDED THEREIN WHEN FORMING PART OF THIS VERSION, AND TO ANY UPDATE, ENHANCEMENT OR FIX INCORPORATED IN THE PROGRAM.
- "Final product" means a software or hardware product in a final form of manufacturing intended for distribution to end users and in object code form and that can play back content, including downloaded or streamed content.
- "Fluendo" means Fluendo SA, whose address is at the end of this document, in person of its at-the-time legal representative.
- “You” means the individual who downloads the Software or, if the download is on behalf of a legal entity, means the legal entity on behalf of which the software is downloaded, in which case the downloader represents and warrants that he/she has the sufficient powers to act on behalf of the represented party.
GRANT OF LICENSE AND RESTRICTIONS
- Subject to the Licensee’s acceptance and continued compliance with this License Agreement and with Fluendo’s Software Terms of Service as provided to the Licensee from time to time, Fluendo hereby grants the Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable limited license to install, use or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, on a per end user basis, as agreed in Fluendo’s Software Terms of Service.
Except as expressly authorized by Fluendo in writing, it is forbidden to:
- use this software in other ways than allowed by this contract;
- tamper or interfere with the functionality, delivery or operation of the Software while using or installing it;
- sell, resell, rent, lease, distribute, transfer, assign, sublicense or otherwise deal with the Software, its components, the Documentation or any of the rights granted under this License Agreement;
- duplicate, reproduce or copy (except for reasonable backup purposes) the Software or the Documentation; or
- export or re-export the Software, directly or indirectly, into any country prohibited by law.
- use this software in the operation of Nuclear facilities, in aircraft navigation, in aircraft communication, in aircraft flight control, in aircraft traffic control systems or in other devices or systems in which serious injury or death to the operator of the device or system, or to others due to a malfunction (including, without limitation, software related delay or failure) could reasonably be foreseen;
- unless the software is explicitly licensed for the use with such plaftorm(s), use this Final Product on non-PC devices like tablets, pda, portable players and other embedded devices.
- It is prohibited to modify, remove, suppress, or in any other way make inconspicuous the copyright, digital fingerprints, watermarks, identification labels, legal notices contained within the Software or other technical protection devices or data identifying Fluendo’s or its licensors rights in the Software, its files or its components.
- No right is granted herein to any third party to use the Software, to the Licensee to use the Software for any third party, or to the Licensee to utilize the Software for any purpose whatsoever not described herein.
- Save for the right to use the Software and the Documentation expressly provided for in this License Agreement, the Licensee agrees and acknowledges that all title to and rights in the Software, its components, structure, databases, source code or design, and in the Documentation, including without limitation all copyright trademarks, trade secrets, patents, and all other intellectual or industrial property rights and other confidential or proprietary information contained therein remain the property of Fluendo or its licensors.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AND PROVIDED THAT LIABILITY
SHALL NOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED IN RESPECT OF MALICIOUS INTENT OR GROSS
NEGLIGENCE, FLUENDO HEREBY EXCLUDES ALL LIABILITY IN RESPECT OF:
- ANY LOSS, DAMAGES, CLAIMS OR COSTS WHATSOEVER INCLUDING ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST SAVINGS, ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR CLAIMS BY A THIRD PARTY, EVEN IF A FLUENDO REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS, DAMAGES, CLAIMS OR COSTS.
DAMAGES, CLAIMS OR LIABILITIES ARISING OUT OF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- THE CONTENT (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ITS NATURE OR ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS THEREIN) AND/OR ANY OTHER DATA, IMAGES, VIDEOS OR SOUNDS WHATSOEVER THAT THE LICENSEE MAY ACCESS OR TRANSMIT USING THE SOFTWARE;
- LIABILITY TO ANY EMPLOYER, PRINCIPAL, CLIENT, LESSOR OR PROVIDER OF COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OR FACILITIES, ARISING OUT OF THE INSTALLATION OF OR USE OF THE SOFTWARE;
- ANY CHARGES WHICH THE LICENSEE MAY INCUR TO ANY TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE OR NETWORK.
- FLUENDO EXPRESSLY EXCLUDES ALL LIABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH ANY THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS OR THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS THAT MAY BE INCLUDED WITHIN THE SOFTWARE, OR YOUR USE THEREOF.
- TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, FLUENDO’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY AND THAT OF ITS AFFILIATES AND SUPPLIERS UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT WILL BE LIMITED IN ANY CASE TO THE AMOUNT PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE, IF ANY, OR, IF HIGHER, TO THE MINIMUM AMOUNT STIPULATED BY A COMPULSORY LAW.
- BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, USING OR UNINSTALLING THE SOFTWARE, THE LICENSEE HEREBY AGREES TO, AT ITS OWN EXPENSE, INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD HARMLESS FLUENDO, ITS PARENTS, SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES, ITS BUSINESS PARTNERS, AND ITS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LOSSES, DAMAGES, INJURIES, CAUSES OF ACTION, CLAIMS, DEMANDS AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING LEGAL FEES AND EXPENSES, OF WHATEVER KIND OR NATURE ARISING OUT OF, RELATING TO OR RESULTING FROM ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO (I) ANY BREACH BY THE LICENSEE OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT; OR (II) THE LICENSEE’S DOWNLOAD, INSTALLATION, USE OR UNINSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE.
- This grant of license begins upon acceptance by the Licensee, either expressly or through use or possession of the Software, and shall continue until terminated as provided in this License Agreement or in Fluendo’s Software Terms of Service.
- The Licensee may terminate this License Agreement at any time by uninstalling the Software and destroying all copies of the Software. Upon any termination, the Licensee agrees to uninstall the Software and return or destroy all copies of the Software, the Documentation, and all other associated materials.
- The Licensee’s failure to comply with any of the terms and conditions of this License Agreement or of the Terms of Service terminates the Licensee’s right to use the Software and/or the Documentation, and the Licensee will not receive a refund.
- This License Agreement contains the entire agreement between the Licensee and Fluendo with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior agreements, negotiations, representations of any kind and proposals, written and oral, relating to its subject matter.
- If any provision of this License Agreement is declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, such provision shall be severed from this License Agreement and the other provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
- All notices given by either party to the other pursuant to this License Agreement shall be in writing and delivered at its principal place of business by fax or delivery service (in either case with acknowledgement of receipt).
- The waiver or failure of Fluendo to exercise in any respect any rights provided for in this License Agreement shall not be deemed a waiver of any actual or further right under this License Agreement.
- The Software could contain, rely upon, depend on, interact with, link to Free and Open Source Software (“FOSS”), Insofar as said FOSS is concerned and where locally specified, the terms of the FOSS license prevail. If You or any third party find any inconsistency, lack of clarity, or any contradiction to the applicable FOSS license, and/or if You or any third party want to exercise your or its rights under it, you or said party is invited to write to FOSSfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- This License Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Spain, and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts and Tribunals of Barcelona in connection with all matters arising under this License Agreement.
World Trade Center Edificio Norte, 7 pl.
With respect to Windows Media Plug-Ins
This product includes technology developed and owned by Microsoft and protected by certain intellectual property rights of Microsoft. Use or distribution of such technology outside of the plug-ins is prohibited without a license of Microsoft. Microsoft is the sole owner of any trademark related with such technology (i.e. Windows Media, Microsoft, etc.).
Microsoft technology is subject to U.S. export jurisdiction. In complying with U.S. export regulations and its amendments distribution limitations to the plug-ins may be placed in Fluendo’s website from time to time.
With respect to MP3
All user manuals, data sheets, application notes, associated documentation and the like relating to MP3 Plugin shall bear this language:
“MPEG Layer-3 audio decoding technology licensed from Fraunhofer IIS and Thomson”
This product cannot be installed in product other than Personal Computers sold for general purpose usage, and not for set-top boxes, embedded PC, PC which are sold and customized for mainly audio or multimedia playback and/or registration, unless the seller has received a license by Fraunhofer IIS and Thomson and pays the relevant royalties to them.
With respect to MPEG-2
“USE OF THIS PRODUCT IN ANY MANNER THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MPEG-2 STANDARD IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED WITHOUT A LICENSE UNDER APPLICABLE PATENTS IN THE MPEG-2 PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSE IS AVAILABLE FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C., 250 STEELE STREET, SUITE 300, DENVER, COLORADO 80206.”
With respect to AVC (h.264)
THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL AND NONCOMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD ("AVC VIDEO") AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE HTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM
With respect to MPEG 4 Visual patent portfolio
THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE MPEG-4 VISUAL PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER FOR (i) ENCODING VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE MPEG-4 VISUAL STANDARD ("MPEG-4 VIDEO") AND/OR (ii) DECODING MPEG-4 VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NONCOMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED BY MPEG LA TO PROVIDE MPEG-4 VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING THAT RELATING TO PROMOTIONAL, INTERNAL AND COMMERCIAL USES AND LICENSING MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, LLC. SEE HTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM.
With respect to AC3 Audio Dolby Digital
"Dolby" and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. Manufactured under license from Dolby Laboratories. Confidential unpublished works. Copyright 1992–1997 Dolby Laboratories. All rights reserved.